Tuesday, February 07, 2006

wanting

yesterday, i was talking to a couple of my friends about the problem of wanting something too much.

you never get that one thing you really want.

there was the dream job i blogged about a few weeks ago. there's not a job i wanted more in the world than that one. and i did not get called for an interview.

there are a few boys with whom i've had flirtacious exchanges over the fast few weeks. the one i'm not that excited about, very consistent about calling. the one that i like best, the one that i want, hasn't called in a week. of course.

and now this. i have applied for this particular postdoctoral fellowship THREE TIMES. it is my dream postdoc. a two year stint at a university of california school. if you get this postdoc, you are practically guaranteed a job in one of the UC schools afterward. i just got my THIRD rejection from them today. the same, we-had-many-qualified-applicants-but-have-limited-funding variety of letter. it's like someone breaking up with you: it's not you; you're great. it's us; we can't afford you!

i worked so hard on the application. revised and re-revised the essays. had secured the mentorship of an anthropologist at one of the UC schools whom i really respect and like. but it was all for nothing.

i have to admit that i'm a little bit devastated. i really wanted this fellowship. and i thought i had a chance. i hoped.

i don't know if it's the universe trying to teach me to be more zen-like in my attitude toward professional achievement. that it's not about getting what i want, but learning to want what i get (yes, i'm stealing that from a sheryl crow song).

so here is my pessimistic lesson of the day: want not, be disappointed not.

@>-->>---

4 comments:

Joel said...

if it's any consolation, I don't think Sheryl Crow was the originator of that line either.

And, as a life long pessimist, I would not recommend tossing hope and optimism out the window... that's right, I'm pessimistic about being a pessimist... if that makes any sense.

jennifer said...

thanks joel. i appreciate your pessimistic attitude toward pessimism. :)

and i think sheryl really is that wise.

Cincysundevil said...

Hang in there Jen. I know you're going through a tough time. You've been awesome helping me, so if you need anything, let me know. I guess as far as pessimism, I have the Army approach. You prepare for the worst and hope for the best. You're wonderful and if this position didn't work out it's all for a reason. Hang in there, we're with you on this.

jennifer said...

cincy - thanks for the encouragement. i really appreciate it. :)