Saturday, February 04, 2006

friday afternoon faux pas

i call my dad friday afternoon to touch base. he answers, but says that he can't hear me. bad connection in the office. he'll go outside and call me right back.

within thirty seconds, my phone rings and i answer, "hey."

silence.

"dad?"

more silence.

thinking our connection still bad, i continue, "dad? can you hear me?" then louder, "DAD? DAD!"

all of a sudden, a male voice.

"may i please speak with jennifer ________?"

"this is she," i say, slowly, hoping that it is a telemarketer, but knowing that it is not.

"this is dr. ____________ from the department of chicano studies at (a university in california)."

i feel my stomach sink.

"oh. i'm sorry. i was talking to my dad and we got. cut off. i thought you were. him. calling back."

"that's ok," dr. X says, generously, though i feel extremely foolish.

he then asks me if i am still interested in the assistant professor position at his school, wants to know if i've already accepted a position somewhere else.

"no, i'm definitely still interested."

he tells me that i am not guaranteed the job, but that he will be in touch soon about an interview.

"thank you," i tell him.

"thank you, dear," he says.

little wonder that he didn't say, "thank you, m'ija."

i'm so mortified. here i am trying to pass myself off as a PROFESSOR and he catches me yelling for my dad.

*sigh*

@>-->>---

3 comments:

Joel said...

I was actually cringing when you were calling for your dad... "No, it's not him, it's gonna be somebody important!"
But as mortified as you may be, it sounds like really good news!

jennifer said...

yeah, it's good news. i just hope that people aren't snickering at me during my interview!

Cincysundevil said...

AWESOME! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and I'll definitely pull out that St. Anthony prayer card for a few prayers!