Tuesday, February 14, 2006

random thoughts before my big day

rewriting this post. when i wrote it last night, i was too bleary-eyed and distracted to be very coherent.

in preparation for the job talk, i have:

* taken my suit to the cleaners. only one suit, but many tops and accessories.
* cancelled my class on wednesday. (my students were very sad.)
* researched the history of the department where i'll be interviewing.
* printed out the faculty profiles of everyone with whom i'll be meeting tomorrow.
* made sure that all of the overheads for my job talk were in order. (i know; i'm old school. i need to learn how to use powerpoint. i just feel like there is so much that can go wrong with something as high-tech as power point. the overheads are v. simple).
* done laundry. well, actually, i'm at the laundromat right now. :)

before i leave for the airport (in three hours), i have to:

* pack!

sometime between the plane ride and my first meeting tomorrow at 8AM, i have to:

* write a new introduction to my talk.
* write in my journal. i need to get my thoughts straightened out before all the madness ensues.
* sleep. this is important. i was sick for my first job talk last year, couldn't sleep at all. woke up feeling horrible, which i could hide. what i couldn't hide were my bloodshot eyes. maybe the reason i didn't get that job was because they thought i was a druggie? now i make sure to pack visene among my toiletries.

today is a day of preparation.

because tomorrow i will be en friega. every moment of my day, from eight in the morning to approximately eight at night is accounted for. breakfast, mid-morning meetings, lunch, job talk, mid-afternoon meetings, dinner. i'm scheduled to meet with about ten people wednesday.

i wonder how charming i'll manage to be with person #10...

usually, some members of the search committee take the candidate to dinner the evening before the big day, but i have no dinner scheduled. i thought that odd until i realized what today is.

i guess none of the members of the search committee want to have dinner with the job candidate on valentine's day.

go figure. ;)

@>-->>---

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck!!

Daily Texican said...

Suerte!