Thursday, March 09, 2006

jenn's journey

thank you all for the congratulations and well-wishes. it's only fitting that after sharing all of my disappointments, i also share my good news.

i've been hesitant to write because i don't know that anything else can top the great news i reported in my last post.

part of me wants to let the high note linger.

my roommate joked, "that's it. the journey's over."

she's right. this part of the journey *is* over.

it's strange when you achieve something you've worked toward for so long.
when i finished my dissertation, there was all this initial celebration. dinners, parties, pin~atas, etc. and i needed to celebrate because that project--from its inception as an idea to field work to writing--was three and a half years in the making.
but then it was done and over. and everyone got sober, and i soberly realized that finishing my dissertation was not enough; i also needed a job.

this has been my third year on the job market. i have received DOZENS of job and rejection letters over the past three years. but now. i have stumbled across my holy grail.
and there has been plenty of celebration--drinks, dinners, drinks (did i already mention that?), mariachis. and i still catch myself grinning into the sky from time to time, like the cheshire cat.

but i'm starting to feel the tiniest bit of anxiety. wondering what the next part of the journey will bring.
@>-->>---

4 comments:

Joel said...

If your life was bad 80's movie this would be the part where they went into the music montage scene where they show you partying and packing and then finally making the trip to your new school with the little U-Haul attached to your car... then you'd pull up to the school and the music would stop and we'd get back to the movie... but I guess the important question is, what song would they set the montage to?? By the way I've been drinking, in case you can't tell.

lo said...

I think that movie was "Terms of Endearment." And "St. Elmo's Fire." And four or five movies with Michael J. Fox in them. I think I saw a couple of that movie.

Jenjen- welcome to the past 2 weeks of my life.
The worst part is, I know that I really don't have anything to complain about.

Anonymous said...

I hope you're able to simply enjoy the moment right now. So often we're worried about the future or we're unhappy with our dead-end present that we don't get a chance to just really enjoy everything we've already got.

And I hope you keep sharing the next part of the journey with us.

Cincysundevil said...

Hopefully it's not anxiety but rather excitement that is creeping into your minds.

Your roommate is right; that part of the journey is over and you have savored it. It'll be one of those great memories that years from now you'll be somewhere (say a grocery store) and you'll be reminded of this moment and the joy it brings.