Wednesday, December 14, 2005

ritual

as an anthropologist, i'm a big fan of ritual.

a lot of people i know have not participated in their graduation ceremonies. but after six and a half years in this program, i was not about to miss my graduation ceremony. i needed it. i needed the ritual to help me understand that i'm finished. to put on the gown and funny hat. to be hooded.

here is a picture my dad took of my hooding.



note the dimly lit stage. all of the elders, similarly dressed in their robes and tams, looking on as the dean hoods me.

i am one of them now.

i feel like i've joined a secret society. or a cult.

either way, i've crossed to the other side. :)

@>-->>---

1 comment:

Cincysundevil said...

I came across your blog from Elenamary's. Congrats on graduation! I was reading about your thoughts as you were heading down that road and I felt alot of those same emotions when I finally got my JD. Keep up the writing; you've got some good stuff!