Thursday, December 22, 2005

home sweet home

i flew in to bakersfield on a gorgeous monday afternoon. the sky a tender blue dusted by bright white cirrus clouds. the strong outline of the mountains, some already snow-capped.

a winter trip is always much nicer than a summer visit here. bakersfield summers are oppressively hot; this past july/august while i was here, the temperature dipped below one hundred degrees only once. and the pollution stings and obscures the horizon in a brown haze.

but the past few days have been perfect. clear and temperate, beautiful.

and then let me brag about a being in a smaller town. the traffic is next to nothing; the stores are not claustrophically crowded; and you can still get a good cup of coffee. :)

part of my contentment here, i'm sure, stems from the fact that for the first time in a long time, i can just relax. sleep late. spend a leisurely morning with my mom, reading the paper and drinking coffee. shop. bake. cook. it's great.

great to be home!
@>-->>---

2 comments:

under the red sky said...

Oh man, I was at Valley Plaza yesterday...so many people!! I guess that's what I get for waiting till the last second to do my shopping! Merry Christmas!

jennifer said...

i live on the east side, did my last minute shopping at the east hills mall. not as good a selection, but worth avoiding the crowds!

@>-->>---