Saturday, August 20, 2005

the one you're with

this past week has been a good week for the dissertation. the line editing started slow, but picked up speed.

i had a mid-week crisis when i realized that i lost the most recent draft of my fifth chapter. i looked for it everywhere. i searched my computer files; i dug into the mountains of printouts of the various drafts of my chapters. it was nowhere to be found. by thursday, i was resigned to rewriting it.

friday afternoon i was finishing my rewrite at the flightpath when my cell phone rang.

it was my advisor.

we exchanged pleasantries. she asked if i was in austin. i told her that i was back after a brief trip to california. she told me that she had called because she had a couple of questions.

i braced myself.

but it turned out that they were easy questions. about travel to south texas. apparently she's planning a trip and wanted my advice! i eagerly doled it out.

then she says, "so... how's your dissertation? is it done?"

"yes," i say with conviction even though i have the unfinished rewrite on my computer screen. "i was actually going to call you to ask you when i can hand it over."

we discuss the details. i will give it to her monday - three days after our conversation.

she tells me that she probably won't get to it for a couple of weeks. she has some things she's trying to take care of before classes begin.

she acknowledges that i might want to get it to her as soon as possible, just to get it off my back. but, she says there's no real rush. since i'm going to be around this semester. it's not like i have a HUSBAND or anyone that i have to get to.

i was like, no actually. rest assured that your spinster grad student has nothing to dedicate herself to but her DISSERTATION.

but that's ok. i do not have to cook for my dissertation. i do not have to clean up after it. it lets me have my alone time; it does not stop me from going out with my girlfriends. and let's face it, it's always there for me. :)

love the one you're with.

@>-->>---

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Belated congrats, Jennifer. : )

Vince