Monday, May 09, 2005

tough love?

I received the following email today from my dissertation chair:

Hello,

I wanted to touch base with you concerning your dissertation.  I know you informed me that you plan to take longer than we discussed. However, I strongly encourage  you to give me your polished dissertation as soon as possible, so we can be done with that phase, and you can then send a copy to your committee.

You should not delay your defense any later than the first week in September.  Preferably finishing in the summer is better, unless you are concerned about employment ... next year. If you don't finish by September you will once again be at a disadvantage in the job search. Most places want a dissertation in hand.   If you finish in September you ... will have the entire semester to work on other things.  Last year you were almost done, but you let it go, and focused on teaching.  This year your focus should be finishing.

Call me.

+++

I haven't called. *sigh* It's not that I don't want to finish. I really do want to move past this phase. But I am tired and frustrated and, quite frankly, don't have ganas. I am, however, starting to get CANAS!

@>-->>---

No comments: