Wednesday, May 18, 2005

this is what it's like

i'm back on track today.

i turned in my grades for class two days ago and tried to pick up where i had left off writing my dissertation. i'm reworking the conclusion to one of my ethnographic chapters.

i have to admit that i didn't make much progress yesterday. i re-read what i had written. did some line editing. checked my email about a million times (i really should disable to the wi-fi on my computer).

today was much better. i took the solitary route. went to my new favorite coffee shop, the dandelion cafe on east 11th street. i ordered un cafe solo and took a seat by the window. across the street, at the victory grill, people were setting up a reception area for a film that was being shot nearby. i don't know what it was all about; but it was difficult not to notice that there were several young women dressed as prostitutes for the shoot.

i wrote for four hours. produced four pages. not stellar, but respectable progress.

since the semester is now over, i imagined that i would dedicate myself fully to this dissertation. but, of course, something else has come up: my summer employment. i have none. i had put all of my hope in a teaching position in the anthropology department, but ultimately did not receive it. i found out yesterday. so now i have to worry about how i will pay my rent this summer.

this is the very economically unstable life of a graduate student.

i wish that i were a trustfund baby. *sigh*

@>-->>---

No comments: