Wednesday, May 11, 2005

pity party

I talked to my dissertation chair this afternoon. Yes, I waited two days to call her. It's as if I'm playing hard to get. Or, alternatively, a childish game of "you're-not-the-boss-of-me." She is, actually, the boss of me.

The conversation wasn't as painful as I thought it would be. Basically, she just wanted to know my plan. I've been hesitant to make one. I told her that I would have a complete draft to her by the end of May. That sounds reasonable, doesn't it? She thought so. Thank God.

I think that she senses I'm feeling a little fragile. She assures me that my chances of getting a job next year will be much higher once I finish my dissertation. She kept emphasizing that any revisions I would have to make for her will be "tiny" and that I am "basically done." I wonder how she knows that she should be gentle with me? I see her so infrequently that she doesn't get the full dose of cynicism I project to the outside world about my project/lifechances/etc. Hmph.

My dissertation chair feels sorry for me. How should I feel about that?

@>-->>---

No comments: