Tuesday, April 01, 2008

primavera

i have to admit that i love the first day of a new quarter, just like i love the first day of a new year, the way that i love writing on the first page of a new journal. to me, those moments always feel like a new chapter of life, a chance to do things a little bit better.

last quarter was dire. i was a miserable teacher. i was a miserable colleague. the first three months of the year were some of my most challenging as a professor.

but today was the first day of the new quarter. i'm teaching one very small class that meets once a week, and most of my other professional obligations (committee work, etc.) ended last quarter. and even though today was a long day of making last minute adjustments to my syllabus, attending a faculty meeting, teaching, copying articles, and configuring the course website, i left campus feeling optimistic.

it is a new beginning.
@>-->>---

4 comments:

Msabcmom said...

There's nothing like a fresh start. Have a good quarter!

cindylu said...

Glad the start of the quarter has been good to you.

Spring quarter freaks me out... If I had anxiety attacks, I'd be having them now. At least I got a good break.

Anonymous said...

i'd love to have your troubles. i'm a stay-at-home mom trying desperately to get my degree! i'm muddling my way through housework and homework, and all the while wondering if i will EVER get through it!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely post ~ you are so good at putting things into perspective and seeing the positive in your challenges ~ thank you for the inspiration ~ abrazo ~