Sunday, April 27, 2008

on the wagon

so i've fallen off the fitness wagon. my sister warned me that boyfriends will do this to you. but i didn't pay attention. i was happy and in love. two years later, i'm still happy, still in love, but let's just say that i should have heeded my sister's warning.

little by little, i've been making changes. joseph, in an effort to support me, has also decided to try to be more conscientious about food choices.

today we planned to go to the movies. joseph is a sucker for movie popcorn. he LOVES it, can't see a movie without it. it's possibly more important to him than the movie itself.

in our effort to be healthy, we looked up the number of calories in a large bag of movie popcorn, which is what we typically share. we were shocked to find out that it has nearly 1300 calories. WITHOUT BUTTER. a small bag of movie popcorn, on the other hand, has about 550 calories.

no problem, he (we) thought. we'll just eat less.

when we walked into the movie theater we were accosted by the smell of popcorn. i knew there would be trouble.

in the concession stand line, joseph decided on a small bag of popcorn and a bottle of water. but when the concession guy asked for our order, joseph said, "a smm-edium popcorn."

a smm-edium popcorn?!

poor guy, he couldn't resist. i laughed and told him that i was going to blog about this later.



yum-o! (hi, joseph!).
@>-->>---

(image via flickr, courtesy of y entonces.)

3 comments:

Msabcmom said...

It is hard at the movies not to buy anything, isn't it? My issue with the food though is that it is so outrageously priced. I think that the bill at the concession stand is sometimes more than the movie itself.

Even though it is not allowed, I have snuck microwave popcorn in and coffee in a mug. I once tried to balance a starbucks coffee in my purse but that was a disaster.

Kudos to you for jumping back on the wagon. I fell off but didn't have the wonderful distraction (boyfriend) that you did!

la rebelde said...

Wow! I knew they had lots of calories, but I didn't realize it was that much!

I once tried to do the microwave popcorn thing at home and then sneak it into the theater. You know, they have those 100 calorie packs now. It was tasty, but just not the same. :)

jennifer said...

msabcmom--i totally agree with you about the prices; they are SO outrageous! when i was growing up, we always snuck food into the theater. we might start that practice again!

larebelde--the 100 calorie packs are a great concept, but yeah. not quite the same. :(