Wednesday, April 27, 2005

fit v. slovenly

i rolled out of bed and in to my running shoes this morning. it is a perfect spring in austin - mild, sunny, and breezy. everything is bright and blooming. i ran a few miles around my neighborhood. trying to get back into it after having abandoned running for the past few months.

i've noticed that these intense periods of intellectual labor and stress seem to drive people to become either fit or slovenly.

fit: one of my girlfriends has been studying for her three area exams this semester and has been running. she now runs between 4-6 miles three to four times a week. a fellow dissertater in colorado is running and training for a triathalon!

slovenly: unfortunately, i fall into this category. imagine working at a coffeeshop in the morning. sitting and writing (or trying to) for a few hours, drinking well-sugared coffee and maybe a piece of coffeecake. haven't gone grocery shopping for weeks and so i choose to eat out for lunch. i go to another coffeehouse in the afternoon. more coffee. maybe a cookie. more hours in front of the computer. dinner out. repeat every day with the occasional exception of teaching a class.

after far too many cups of coffee and far too many cookies, i decided to take control of my life again. i went grocery shopping. i bought fresh fruit and vegetables! organic yogurt! free range eggs! i made myself a salad. it was great.

and then i started to run again. it was not great. but it's been getting better. i ran a 5K a couple of weeks ago. it took me 31 minutes, which i think is respectable. :)

anyway, i wish that i could say i were taking control of my dissertation. i feel that it has taken more control over me than vice versa.

i wrote a paragraph today at my favorite coffeeshop. and i did not have a cookie with my coffee.

@>-->>---

No comments: