Monday, April 25, 2005

breaking news

It seems that all of the breaking news that happens in April is bad news for me.

I finally received my rejection letter from the University of Minnesota today. I gave my job talk a little over two months ago. Because it had been so long, I really had assumed that they had given the position to someone else. But there was something jarring about receiving the letter. The our-call-for-applications-produced-a-rich-and-diversely-qualified-group-of-candidates letter. The we-regret-to-inform-you letter.

I thought it odd that I get the generic rejection letter, but then noticed that there was a special section at the end - a couple of sentences that let me know that they were happy to have met me and privileged to learn about my work. They wish me success as I begin what they are sure will be a successful career.

I wonder if all successful careers have such rocky beginnings. I wonder if they are all characterized by such profound self-doubt. I wonder if my successful career will actually be as a barista at Starbucks.

@>-->>---

No comments: