Monday, January 14, 2008

monday

this morning when i got to school there was a handwritten note on top of my computer from the building maintenance man. over the weekend, he had tried to hang my bulletin board above my desk. in the process, he accidentally hit a power line. he apologized that there was no power in my office and wrote that he would notify the campus electricians first thing monday morning.

thank God i have a laptop.
and that my internet connection was still working.

i finished preparing my morning lecture on my laptop and emailed it to my office manager to print for me.

when i came back from lecture, this is what the wall in front of my desk looked like.



an hour and a half later, after i'd finished writing a letter of recommendation for a student, but not before finishing my lecture for tonight, my computer battery died. i relinquished my computer to our work study student in the main office, so he could look after it as it charged. i went back to my office for office hours, but fifteen minutes later, the electricians showed up and kicked me out.

my office manager let me into the conference room to work. less than an hour later, another professor showed up and kicked me out because his class was going to meet there.

the electricians were still working (looking for a power board?) in my office, so my office manager graciously shoved some papers to the side of his desk to create a space for my laptop. i finished my lecture notes (he printed them for me), and i decided to call it a day. (until my second class, which started at 5PM).

what a monday! the week can only get better from here...

@>-->>---

3 comments:

Olga said...

dude! well, it sounds like you handled the whole thing as gracefully as possible. i hope today was much better!

Joel said...

I would have thrown a fit when I saw the hole in the wall. I would have gone into a whole "I can't perform in conditions like this" diva routine.... hope it finally got fixed.

jennifer said...

olga--thanks. yes, things are better, but my office is STILL not quite fixed.

joel--i *did* leave as soon as i got everything i needed to get done, done.