Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Book Meme

Olga tagged me with this meme last week.

1. One book that changed your life: The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros. i was 17 years old when a crush recommended this book to me. though i considered myself a voracious reader at that age, i had never read anything written by a mexican american. after this book, i started to seek out other chicano/a literature. also, as a nascent feminist, this book provided the basis for my first college term paper--elements of feminism in the house on mango street. ;)

2. One book that you've read more than once: Loving Pedro Infante by Denise Chavez. i LOVE this book. it makes me laugh and cry every time i read it, but i think that, more than anything, i love the feeling of redemption at the end of the novel.

3. One book you'd want on a desert island: probably some poetry anthology.

4. One book that made you laugh: Drink Cultura by Tony Burciaga. i read this book bit by bit at the stanford bookstore when i was an undergrad. his writing is not only witty, but also culturally astute.

5. One book that made you cry: The Chin Kiss King by Ana Veciana Suarez. i read this book years ago and don't remember many of the details, just that it was about the relationships between mothers and daughters. i remember that i was sobbing as i turned the last pages.

6. One book you wish had been written: A Mexican American version of Interpreter of Maladies. does anyone know of a book that illustrates the various experiences of culture, class, and transnationalism of mexicans/chicanos in america?

7. One book you wish had never been written: Who Cut the Cheese?: A Cultural History of the Fart by Jim Dawson. i saw this on display by the registers at Half Price Books in texas. why???

8. One book you're currently reading: just finished On Beauty by Zadie Smith.

9. One book you've been meaning to read: mostly school books, Chicana Without Apology and Chicana Feminisms are next on the list (because I have to teach them this quarter!)

10. Six people to tag: Kelly, Vanessa, Joel, Lo, HP, and Cincy . i'd love to know what all of you are reading. :)

@>-->>---

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will do it - I am up to the challenge!
-K-

Joel said...

sorry it took me so long to get around to this, but atleast I got around to it:
1.The Motorcycle Diary
2.Great Expectations
3.After Hours- Edwin Torres
4.High Fidelity- Nick Hornby
5.The Corner- David Simon
6.The Fuck-Up by Arthur Nersessian
7.Any of those Ann Coulter books.
8.One Hundred Year of Solitude- I’m just now getting around to reading and yes I feel like an idiot for taking these long to get around to it.
9.The House on Mango Street

Anonymous said...

Girl,
I totally forgot to do this...let's see if I have time for it this week!
-Kelly

Cincysundevil said...

I finally did it ... last week of course, but I did the list finally!