Monday, September 11, 2006

anniversary

my parents celebrated their anniversary this past weekend.

the story is that my dad asked mom to marry him after one month. she apparently said no the first time he asked. but they were married almost exactly one year after they first met, thirty three years ago.

"how did you know, after one month, that you wanted to marry her?" i asked him recently.

"i don't remember!" he says. "i guess because she was nice to me."

that seemed simple enough.

later in the day, however, while he, my mom, and i were driving somewhere, he said to me, "i remember now. it's because your mom was a hottie!"

she turned to look at him innocently. "i was?" she asked.

it seems like a small miracle occurs when you meet someone and decide that you want to spend the rest of your life with that person. it seems like a bigger miracle when you actually make it through thirty three years together, having brought children into the world and watched them grow into adults, having witnessed births and deaths in your families, seeing career changes, living through sickness and health, and still enjoying your favorite restaurants, your quiet nights at home, the moments you still laugh at each other's cheesy jokes. it's thirty three years of life, entangled with love.

muchas felicidades a mis papás. que sigan disfrutando de la vida y del amor.

@>-->>---

7 comments:

Msabcmom said...

Happy anniversary to them. What a cute story!

Olga said...

Oh, your parents are so cute in their 70s wedding outfits! Now that I know your parents, I can totally hear the two of them in the car, and visualize the expression on your mom's face as she asks, I was? :-)

(and how does it feel to be the kid again in the back seat?)

Patricia said...

Hi Jenn,

Your story reminds me of my own marriage. My husband asked me to marry him two months after we met. I told him it was too early. But, he says that when he would ask his friends, "How do you know when you have found the right one?" They would answer, "You just know." So, when he met me, he would say, "I know you are the one." However, I needed more convincing. In October it will be ten years since our first date and we have been married eight. I know its a drop in the bucket to your parents married life, but we are building towards that, si Dios quiere. I think that when love is true and right, it lasts.

Joel said...

when you know, you know- even if it's only been a month.

Anonymous said...

Felicidades to them!

HispanicPundit said...

Great story. They certainly don't make men and woman like they used too - today many marriages don't even last a few years, and even after knowing the other person for years.

Congrats to your parents, they are role models for us all!

under the red sky said...

Makes me want to get married too!!