Monday, August 14, 2006

homecoming

two weeks ago, at 6AM, i am crying and indignant when an airport worker tells me that i have been bumped to the next flight, which is scheduled to leave in SIX hours.

after much sniveling and whining and generally trying to make everyone feel sorry for me, one young airline worker finds a flight that will deliver me to albuquerque only three hours after my original flight would have.

the airline would pay ($271) for a taxi to drive me one hundred miles to fresno where i could catch my saving flight. i had one hour and forty five minutes to make it.

minutes later, an 80's model ford painted yellow appears and stops at the curb. a 22-year old goth-type girl steps out lightly, asks to see my voucher and springs back into the car as i settle into the backseat.

"do you know how to get to the fresno airport?" she asks me.

"no..." i say, hardly hiding my surprise at her question.

she gets on her CB and calls her dispatcher. "i don't have a cellphone, and i need you to give me directions to the fresno airport."

i understand this to mean that once we are out of her CB radio's range, we are on our own.

she dutifully writes down the directions as her dispatcher dictates them to her, and we are off.

my goth girl taxi driver averages 90-100 miles per hour, weaving around cars on the two lanes that head north on the 99 freeway. after some close calls and jerky driving, i decide it best to close my eyes and try to catch up on some sleep.

secretly, i am grateful for her speed demon ways; i'm afraid that i will miss the flight and have to travel back with her to bakersfield.

soon we are in fresno and both looking for our exit.
we never see the exit the dispatcher has told her to take.

finally, we come to the northern end of the city to the clinton exit. she says that clinton is that last street the dispatcher has told her to take. we get off the freeway, both of us unsure which direction we should head.

i suggest she stop at a gas station to ask for directions.
she ignores my suggestion.

we pull up alongside a white SUV. a 30-something year old mexicano drives. my taxi driver manually rolls down her window and yells, "hey! hey! is this this the road we take the airport?!"

a blank stare. and he drives ahead.

disgruntled, my driver grumbles to me, "i forgot that in FRESNO nobody speaks ENGLISH!"

i am startled and have to remind myself that i am not in my liberal, PC, austin bubble any more. i remain quiet.

until we pull up to the white SUV again at a traffic light. this time the driver is on my side of the car.

i roll down my window and yell, "oiga! está el aerpuerto por esta calle?"

"el aeropuerto? no. está por la... ah sí. está por la clinton."

"está muy lejos?"

"sí, son varias luces."

my driver looks at me expectantly. "it's way down the street," i tell her.

as we tear down the street, the white SUV catches up to us. i turn my head toward the window and the driver, not a bad looking guy actually, raises his eyebrows at me suggestively. i laugh and shake my head, turn away. no, no, i think. i mean, i guess we did share a moment. i've always been good at playing the damsel in distress. why do men love that so much?

she delivers me to the airport curb at 9AM, the exact time when my flight is to begin boarding. i run through security, and am at the gate just in time.

though i am actually leaving the valley, i know that i've arrived.

@>-->>---

11 comments:

Joel said...

great to have you back! I miss the old Jenn Journey look, but I understand the need to make changes.

how did your goth taxi driver react when you broke out the spanish? did she get a little nervous after her comment?

Msabcmom said...

Welcome back to Cali!

Vanessa said...

Great story and new look.

HispanicPundit said...

LOL. Funny story.

Welcome back to the blogosphere, hopefully it won't be that long before we have another post from you.

under the red sky said...

you could've called me ya know. Next time on 99 get off on the Clovis Avenue exit and it will take you straight to the Fresno airport..ya vez :P

jennifer said...

joel - she didn't really show much of a reaction. she was still very cool. i guess that's the goth way. ;)

kelly and vanessa - thank you!

hp - i'll try to be a better blogger!

gustavo - that's the exit we were looking for! we couldn't find it!

Patricia said...

I think it is finally time for me to come out of the shadows and say hi! I have been a faithful reader of your blog for some months. You write beautifully; I want to be like you when I grow up. Oh, wait a minute, I think I'm older than you already! I'm a 34 year old stay at home mom, who is just now getting a college education. You are an inspiration to Mexican-American women in education. Thanks!

jennifer said...

hi martha. wow, thank you! i'm glad that you enjoy the blog. please feel free to drop me a line (on the blog or via email) whenever.

Anonymous said...

hey jen! welcome back! i'll be in socal second week of september. let's try to coordinate schedules~

Anonymous said...

Indeed, welcome back to cyberspace and welcome back to Cali. I'll refrain from singing any LL Cool J.

DeCoMpOsEd said...

great adventure...