Sunday, July 16, 2006

moving

two weeks from tonight, i will most likely be spending the night in las cruces, new mexico.
all of my furniture will have been sold and/or donated to goodwill. my essential belongings--books, clothes, CDs--will have been shipped or packed into the trunk of my car.
our apartment will be empty and clean.
my roommate will be moved in (or at least partially moved in) to her new apartment.
and i will have said my good-byes, my see-you-laters to this city, to the people i love in this city, holding the hope that i will come back for visits.

i hate moving.

california will be great.
i'm so lucky to have this job. especially at a research university. in california. three hours from home.
it's nothing against california.
but i love my life in austin.

it was always going to be temporary. and, to be honest, those first two years, i wanted to miracle myself back to california every day. but here i am, nearly seven years later, wanting nothing more than to hold on.

but i'm forced to keep moving.

@>-->>---

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are a student of change, jennifer :] Gracias a Dios que I was able to spend some time with you in Austin.

Joel said...

I hadn't even thought about the fact that you'd be losing your roomate, somehow in my mind Olga was packing up and going with you... I'll miss reading the two sided perspectives on your road trips.
good luck and hopefully this latest move will be the last for quite a while.

jennifer said...

joseph-i'm glad that you were able to get to know how weird austin is, too!

joel-losing olga as a roommate is going to be one of the hardest things about this move! she has been the best partner in crime i could ask for. but yes, hopefully this is my last move in a while, and i'll be able to make new friends in cali.