Friday, June 16, 2006

water

went for a swim a couple of nights ago at bartholomew park.
i arrived in a speedo racerback swim suit with goggles and a swim cap in hand, walked around the perimeter of the pool to the lanes they have roped off for lap swimming.

there was anarchy in the rest of the pool.

mostly black and brown children from ages five to fourteen, jumping and splashing, yelling in spanish and english. laughing in the bright blue water as the daylight waned. most congregated in the shallow end. each time i ended my lap on that side of the pool, a chubby mexican boy asked me if i could retrieve a small green ball his friends had thrown over his head and in to the lap lane.

the first time i obliged.
the second time i obliged with a look of exasperation on my face (he was ruining my stride!).
the third time, he said, "it's not my fault."
"i know, sweetie."
and then i witnessed the culprit throw the ball far above and beyond his head!
i told her that she was not supposed to throw anything into the lap lane.
then one of the life guards reprimanded the boy for venturing to the second lap lane (not the one i was in) to retrieve the ball.
"see?" i told the girl. "you got him in trouble." and i returned to my swim, wondering when i became such a cranky old lady.

i wasn't always this way.

every summer that i remember of my childhood, my mom used to enroll me and my sister (my brother, too?) in swimming lessons at siemon park. i think that she wanted us to conquer her fear of the water. and i think she wanted to get us out of her hair for part of those long summer days.

we happily obliged. all of the swim lesson kids would line up outside of the pool and be forced to walk through a corridor of cold water-spouting shower heads before each lesson. the instructors told us it was for us to become accustomed to the cold water so that we'd be more apt to jump into the pool. some of us would sprint through the showers to avoid the shock of cold water. others would creep along the sides of the corridor, carefully avoiding the water. if we weren't wet enough, the teachers would make us go through again.

other than the initial shock of cold water, the swimming lessons were great. i loved being in the water during the brutally hot summers in bakersfield. and my mother was right to assume that it would make me comfortable in the water.

to this day, i love the water. i love the feeling of weightlessness gliding through a swim. i love the silence under water, the peacefulness. being able to focus on the most basic things--my breath, my thoughts.

i see those kids at bartholomew pool, and i remember those summer days that were filled with sun and water. and think that someday those kids will be remembering the same things.

@>-->>---

3 comments:

coVacha said...

PUES EN LA PRIMER PARTE CUANDO LE DICES ¿VES YA LO METISTE EN PROBLEMAS?, LA VERDAD SI TE DEJASTE VER COMO UNA VIEJITA GRUÑONA (JI,JI), AUNQUE YO RECUERDO QUE TENIAS UN HUMOR MUY BUENO, ME REFIERO A QUE SIEMPRE ESTABAS SONRIENDO :) A LA GENTE AQUI EN MEXICO AUNQUE NO LA CONOCIERAS (PERO BUENO ME IMAGINO QUE LA GENTE ALLA EN TU TIERRA ES DIFERENTE). EN LO REFERENTE A LA SEGUNDA PARTE, ES BUENO TENER BUENOS RECUERDOS DE LA NIÑEZ Y LOS VERANOS, YO RECUERDO QUE NOS LA PASABAMOS DIZQUE EXPLORANDO UN LOTE BALDIO QUE ESTABA CERCA DE LA CASA Y (QUE AHORA EXISTEN UNOS DEPARTAMENTOS)NOS PASABAMOS EL DIA ENTERO EN ESE TERRENO, EXCAVANDO O SIMPLEMENTE BUSCANDO BICHOS RAROS Y VERLOS MUY DE CERCA, OTRAS VECES JUGABAMOS AL FUTBOL Y POR ESTE TIEMPO (EN JUNIO) JUGAR CON LLUVIA EN LA CALLE ES FANTASTICO (ME IMAGINO QUE ES MAS MAGICO CUANDO ERES UN POCO MAS JOVEN), PERO BUENO ESE ES MI COMENTARIO GRACIAS...

P.D. KE BUENO KE TU SI SABES NADAR POR KE YO NO :p
ATTE: jEsUs

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more. Just a couple weeks ago the ocean finally warmed up enough for me and my homies to start swimming again. It's always the most therapuetic part of my day. I'm definitely gonna have to find a pool in Baires.

Xolo said...

I used to swim a lot. Now not so much. I like to have a lane to myself. Like you it is quiet meditation for me and having to deal with people just ruins the whole experience. I also find less and less time. It just becomes easier to take a quick walk with the dogs. Too bad they don't have swim with your dogs places.

Oso - you aren't going to swim in the Rio de Plata? You could swim to Uruguay and back. Nice work out.