Tuesday, September 08, 2009

training days

i'm training for a 10K.

four years ago, i used to do this. i trained for races. mostly 5Ks, but there was one 10K, and there was the triathlon training.

i used to love it. i loved the confidence born of the strength and endurance my body showed me, especially when training for the triathlon. i remember the first day that i did "brick training." we rode our bikes three miles, ran one mile, rode another three, and ran another one. the sensation of switching from biking to running was nothing less than discombobulating. when i switched from biking to running, my legs were shaking as if i were using them for the first time. but i pushed through, ran the mile, and got on the bike again. at the end of that morning's workout, i remember thinking that my body had never been in such hard motion for that extended period of a time. but in the weeks following that early training session, i saw that my body was capable of even more. swimming, biking, running. training for that triathlon made me feel powerful.

it's been 3 1/2 years since i've trained for anything seriously. and in that time, that strength and endurance has seriously slipped away. i have a million excuses, all of which i will spare you. the truth is that i haven't prioritized my body in all that time.

so now i'm training for a 10K. i haven't even wanted to say those words out loud because, frankly, i'm a little bit afraid. but i'm coming out. i'm going to run a local 10K on november 8th. or die training. ;)

@>-->>---

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you mija.

Dad

cindylu said...

I'm not sure I'm disciplined enough for a training schedule. I get too easily distracted, even though I love being out and running.

Wish you the best as you train.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenn,

This is Patricia from the Rio Grande Valley. Do you remember the girl who towed her two girls to have lunch with you?

Congratulations on starting this new journey. I think that exercise is an excellent priority to have in one's life. I know that I try to show my girls what a "healthy" woman looks like, i.e. exercise, healthy eating, and why not, the occassional splurge on pizza and hamburgers and my all-time favorite Krispy Kreme Donuts :) I am going to try and run a 10k in December, as well.

Best wishes!!

jennifer said...

cindy--thanks!
patricia--of course i remember you (and your girls!). good luck with your training. :)