Thursday, July 03, 2008

retorno

south texas is mostly as i remember.

this summer the skies are grey and the air thick with humidity. the palm trees bend with the wind, their fronds like sea anemones. i wonder when it will rain. i'm waiting for a good texas rain, with thunder and lightning and sheets of water that pour like buckets.

i remember the language. brown teenagers speaking english, older mexicanos speaking spanish. those in between, speaking both. "oh jennifer, i wish you could meet him. lo quiero mucho."

there are more amenities than when i left five years ago. i used to have to drive half an hour to mcallen to find starbucks coffee. now, there are a few around harlingen (though not all of them have wi-fi!) there is more shopping now, more restaurants.

still, in la feria last night, i joined some people for drinks at the american legion hall. apparently, the bar/restaurant developers haven't spread into the small towns quite yet. but it was a nice time, reconnecting with my old friends in a smoke-filled hall. it was the bartender's birthday last night, and she had cooked a feast for the patrons--barbecued pork and chicken, mexican rice, potato salad, and birthday cake. the bar sang happy birthday to her.

i confess that it feels a little bit sad to be a visitor in a place where i used to live, especially considering that i really loved my life here.

but i've lived in three cities since then, one that i enjoyed, another that i loved, and one that i'm still adjusting to. and i guess that is the path that i chose as an academic. it feels like a nomadic path. maybe even migrant. and so i store up memories of the places that i've lived, feeling the fullness of my heart when i let myself remember.

5 comments:

Patricia said...

hi jenn,

my name is martha, and i have followed your journeys for awhile now. i am the college student/full-time mom that is inspired by your academic achievements. i live in mcallen now (i lived in corpus christi before), and i was wondering if you would like to meet for coffee? i don't know how long you will be in the valley. please let me know. my email address is mcantu27@mydmc.delmar.edu

thanks,

martha patricia

la rebelde said...

"feeling the fullness of my heart when i let myself remember"--what a great line!

we had some thunderstorms today in 'burque. maybe you'll get them tomorrow!

jennifer said...

patricia--something was wrong with your email addy; my message wouldn't go through, but you can email me so we can make plans at lamusa@gmail.com.

rebelde--thanks. i'm enjoying your posts from nm, too!

Pete said...

Jen, wish I were there myself. A botana in a Valley bar sounds good right now

Anonymous said...

Long time no come around for me...

I was in McAllen not too long ago for work and my boss and I ate at some restaurant and asked if they had Wi-Fi and she replied, "I don't think we have that beer, but I'll check with the bartender"