Sunday, March 04, 2007

on writing

when you earn your ph.d., one of your biggest feats is producing a dissertation. most dissertations range between two and three hundred pages. it seems that, on average, people take between one and three years to write them.

i started writing my dissertation on fellowship in santa barbara. my only obligation during my first five months as a fellow there was to write. and so, i would get up every morning with writing in mind. on good days, i would go for a brisk run along the coast. i would drive to a coffeeshop, obediently toting along my laptop, which, in those days, did not have wireless capacity. i would order a cup of coffee, and i would write.

my goal was to write three pages a day, five days a week. some days, i would reach my writing goal in one hour. other days it would take me four. some days i spent revising. most days i drank several cups of coffee.

it was an extremely productive time for me. i didn't have any friends in santa barbara. some days the only people i would speak to in person were my baristas. sometimes i think i ordered a second and third cup of coffee for the brief human contact it would allow me.

though isolating, writing on fellowship was a luxury.

after i finished the diss, i decided that i deserved a break. a year passed. in that time, i was productive in other ways--mostly teaching. but still no writing. and now this lack of writing is beginning to matter.

(to be continued)

@>-->>---

5 comments:

Xolo said...

Um...yeah...hem...

writing? Yes, it is coming out ... I am working on it.

I feel your pain.

Anonymous said...

i feel the same way about my lack of writing. but my breaks from writing seem to happen most often when i am busy and happy in other areas of my life. so in a way, i wonder if i should be happy, when i'm writing less...
-vgg

Cincysundevil said...

You make me wish I was a better writer. I wish I could just sit down and write about a topic I am passionate about.

jennifer said...

xolo--are you in a writing group? i just found someone to read my stuff, and that helps.

vgg--that's typically how it goes for me, too, in terms of blogging and journaling. when i'm happier, i write less! but for work, i'm feeling the pressure to write rain or shine.

cincy--you're a great writer! and you do seem very passionate on your blog, especially when you write about politics!

Anonymous said...

writing! i hate it and yet i can't go a day w/o attempting it. it's good to read others stuggling too. keep up the good work.