Tuesday, May 30, 2006

catty and competitive

i don't know if i've mentioned it before, but this triathlon training has made me a little bit competitive.
i don't usually consider myself a competitive person. but there is a woman in my triathlon training class, and she seems to always be, well, racing me. she's a friend, but, because she's a competitor, she's also a frenemy.

this has not usually been a problem because i've actually been a little faster than her in all the events.
but this woman. she has been TRAINING. i mean, above and beyond. extra sessions. bought herself a tri-suit.
and she's gotten faster.

we had a bike/run a week and a half ago, and i smugly thought that i would leave her in my dust. actually, she left me in hers.

so this week, i have been on a mission. training harder than usual. eating relatively well. garnering my determination. to beat her.

saturday we had a mock triathlon. we were to meet at the race site, swim half a mile, ride twelve, and run three.
i felt prepared.

the open water swim was challenging because the water was murky, and i veered too far left and right at a couple of points during the race. but i felt like my stroke was strong, i was swimming at a respectable pace. but as i approached the end, i saw the woman--my frenemy--just behind me. i finished the swim, and tried to wade through the shallow water as quickly as possible to the shore. in my haste, i forgot about the rocky drop from the shore to the ocean and proceeded to ram my foot into the rocks and fall.

when i looked up, my trainer was snapping photos. i was not amused.
when i looked down, i saw one of my toes crooked and crossed over the other. and it hurt like ... well, you can imagine.
but my frenemy was already out of the water and running to the transition area.
so i hobbled after her, yelling to my trainer about my toe, and gingerly put my socks and shoes on, the bike shorts, the tank top, the helmet (yes, the helmet), and took off. my frenemy had already taken the lead.

my trainer told me to "be smart! if your toe is broken, don't ride!"

"it's just a ride," i yelled back. it's not like i'd be on my feet or anything.

i caught up with her. passed her. and rode the rest of the way without looking back. i finished the twelve mile bike ride with a significant lead. but when i got off the bike, i realized that i couldn't walk. which meant that i couldn't run! and couldn't complete the triathlon.

so my frenemy arrived after ten minutes and ran. and again left me in her dust. AUGH!

over the past two days, my foot has become more and more swollen and bruised purple and green. and i have been less and less able to walk. i've basically been hobbling around town like a little old lady for the past few days. and today i have been hobbling around office, clutching my lower back and popping advil.

i think the toe might be broken. i don't have health insurance until june 1st. and so i will aguantarme until then. and i am not sure if the toe will be healed in time for the triathlon.

i think that God is punishing me for being catty and competitive. *sigh* even so, i just know that, with a ten minute lead from the bike ride, i totally could have beat her running.

@>-->>---

8 comments:

HispanicPundit said...

Ouch. Damn. Yeah, well, definitely tomorrow morning you should be at that Dr's office. You don't want that toe to permanently heal in a bad position.

I don't think God punishes (friendly) competitiveness, after all, it makes the sport that much more interesting and makes you put that much more effort into it. As long as you keep it civil (of which you have) it's all in good fun. :-)


...if God punished you for something, it was probably because of your liberalism - not competitive ness. LOL. I kid, I kid...sorta. ;-)

Anonymous said...

If it is any consolation, there is someone out there that we know you can beat. =)

Joel said...

I've broken toes and going to the doctor is a total waste of time- there is nothing they can really do for it... they won't even give you any of the good pain pills for a toe... just tough it out.
hopefully you'll be ready for the triathalon, but if not, you can always pull a Tonya Harding and make it so your frenemy can't compete either! j/k

Msabcmom said...

FRENEMY - I LOVE it!

Seriuosly, I LOVE that term. I have never heard it before and will be using it often from here on out. Thanks!

On a more serious note - I hope that you can get to the Dr. soon. Cuidate mujer! Get well soon!!!

lo said...

I think that standard treatment for toes is just to tape it to the toe next to it. The trainers should have done that for you, but they must have to worry about liability. Keep it elevated and iced-- works better than happy pills in my unfortunately experienced opinion.
- clumsy Lo

Vanessa said...

Sorry about your toe. I hope it doesn't keep you from competing.

It seems like I get punished in some manner if I lie or talk badly about somebody--which is why I try to avoid doing both!

Anonymous said...

Agreed - I hadn't heard of "frenemy" before either. Ingenious. I love frenemies.

Rest up that toe and get a friend to trip the frenemy during the race. Works every time.

jennifer said...

thanks for all the sympathy. i feel like my ego has been wounded almost as much as my toe by my frenemy.

i should also clarify that "frenemy" is not my term. i first heard it on an episode of sex and the city. but this source cites a slightly earlier origin.